Monday, April 30, 2012

Interesting Roots...

As I was working on a new pancake recipe, Sweet Potato Sourdough Pancakes, I was reflecting on my family…  You see I was trying to get this recipe to be more appealing to my Midwestern husband, who likes more traditional pancakes, than to get something that appeals to my California roots…


To say I have interesting roots, well that's an understatement… My family tree (both sides) has zany personalities which would work well as a cast of The Muppet Show… There are people in all kinds of unusual lines of work… One side of my family (Mom's) has roots in Kansas (wheat farming families), and the Midwestern influence is there - but they've been California city-folk for a while… The other side (Dad's) are from very interesting places around the country / world, have been rooted in San Diego for 5 generations, and are an eclectic mix of country / seafaring / international / … much harder to pin down a type…


The influence of my Dad's family shows up in my cooking - my Grandma was a "natural" gourmet, not fancy in looks/presentation, but she could (and did) cook everything!!  My (midwestern rooted) Mom did my brother & I a huge service when we were young, she told us "don't ask what it is, just eat it, it will taste good" - thanks Mom for the wise words!!  I wish I would have taken advantage of the opportunity to learn from my Grandma before she was gone… but at least she has influenced my creative / experimental nature in the kitchen - thanks Grandma!


I think God is very specific about what family He places us in, and where He moves us through our lives, Acts 17:26 tells us God "determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live"…  


Thank You Lord for my family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment